Subscribe to My Blog

Google Groups
Subscribe to BDizzle Abroad
Email:
Visit this group

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ouch

First stuff that's not about Fantasy Football!

So I finally went out last week and got some fabric to have an outfit made for me. Here in my city we have two markets basically and if you want clothes you go out and buy the fabric then you find a tailor and have them make you your outfit. Sounds pretty logical from here, but I guess I wouldn't make those assumptions if I was someone reading this in the states... anyways, as anyone who knows me in the states can affirm to, I wear clothes that are inappropriately flamboyant in the states and thankfully here in this super conservative Muslim country that's perfectly fine. So I got this amazing and expensive deep purple and lavender fabric and had an outfit made, I'll get pictures up when I can. It's a pretty pimp outfit.

Anyways, I went to go find some more fabric because I need a few outfits and I chatted up this one lady and the guy who sells shoes next to her and talked her down on prices a bit but she didn't have the colors I wanted. Manna was with me and talked to her about getting me some green fabric. I didn't get away without buying this sweet ass black fabric with orange and white accents for a halloween outfit!

Anyways.. I went back today with Manna to the market and we stopped by the stalls of Binta (the lady with fabric) and Tejani(sp???) the shoe guy and Binta had one thign of nice green fabric but it was too bright. So she went to go get me some other fabric and had Manna and I watch her stall for her. So we actually went into the stall and sat and Manna discussed prices of fabric with perspective customers in Pulaar while I talked with the Tejani in French. By the time the lady got back Tejani decided we were best friends and he gave me a pair of shoes for free and then shined them for me. It was pretty awesome, Binta came back with some sweet choices of fabric and it was all in all a pretty great day.

As far as languages go, my French still needs some cultivating but I got a Wolof tutor with my sitemate Meredith and I'll be learning Wolof in French. So hopefully I'll be able to speak French and Wolof by the end of this year and then next year during stage I'm going to sneak into my old facilitator's class with the new stagiers and learn Hassaniya and then I'll get a Pulaar tutor for that year... that's my grand scheme to learn all the languages here except for the uncommon Sonyike*(sp) and Bambaran.


Ok, now for Fantasy Football!

So I lost this week by 4 points! If my dear sweet Ben Rothlisberger had of gotten me 4 points or if I would have put in any other QB I had I would have won.. oh well. This next week the guy I'm playing has literally half of his team on bye weeks. 6 of his starters aren't playing this week and he doesn't have a back up for two of them yet. I know he will but.. right now it's looking pretty good for me. Bad week, but I'm still in it and looking good for the long term.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

I spent 9 years in Senegal but have never been to Mauritania. I'd love to visit but it's a long way away ... Would any of your Pulaar speaking friends like a free paper in Pulaar? See http://soon.org.uk/fulani/free-papers.php

We mail them free of charge if specifically requested.

Thanks, Jane

Unknown said...

Hello, Brandon!! Good to see your comments again! ;o) The way you use the word "anyways" reminds me of Ryan -- one of his pet words.

Sounds like you'll be styling ala Mauritania in your new clothes. Really looking forward to seeing those pictures!!

Get that camera fixed, and take care!

Vicki (Ryan's Mom)

Tonya said...

Damn your Chief's!
Mom